Some friends of mine have a tradition of going to the local Rocky Horror Picture Show showing every Halloween. For Christmas, I decided to make Munny representations of the characters they go as.
Each model started off as a standard 4″ white Munny. To accomplish the 3D features I used Apoxie Sculpt (which I obtained from a local online taxidermy retailer). I had never used a modelling apoxy at this scale before and I was weary from my previous experiences at smaller scales but this stuff was an absolute dream to work with – I cannot recommend it highly enough. It was soft, pliable, and remained flexible for at least an hour. When dry, it was easily sanded and its adhesion to the Munny surface was superb.
After sculpting and sanding the dried apoxy I taped off the joints and sprayed each piece individually. There were unfortunate exceptions to this, however. Franks pearls and floorshow Janet’s boa required me to assemble the models prior to spraying.
When the basecoat was dry I painted each model by hand using Games Workshop acrylic paint. This worked well for the most part, but for the skin tones of the face it would have been preferable to use an airbrush – you can kind of see the brush marks on some of the models.
Two of the models (Frank and Columbia) had glitter applied to selected surfaces. I used Martha Stewart glitter and it really is an excellent glitter. If there is one flaw is that it’s TOO fine – it ends up getting everywhere and some of it managed to stick where I didn’t intend it to.
After I was done painting I spray sealed each model with a clear high gloss topcoat. Each model was coated 3 times for a fairly even finish. This also helped settle the glitter, which by this point had infused the entirety of our house. It has been almost a month since I glittered the models and I’m STILL finding the stuff in my hair.
Originally I had intended to encase each model in a glass bell jar. I had even found a supplier on ebay, but I ordered them too late – it didn’t look like they’d arrive until after I needed to give them. Out of desperation I ordered the bases and plaques from a local trophy shop at a very affordable price only to have the jars arrive just as I could have used them. Oh well, I’ll have them for the next Munnys
Overall it was a very fun experience. I definitely learned a lot and I look forward to making more Munnys in the future.